2009 Tennis Wishlist
That’s the sound coming from the players’ wallets in Abu Dhabi right now. Nothing like a few good exhos to ease our way into a new tennis season, and if last night’s match between Fed and Muzza were anything to go by, we’re in for quite some year. The last time I tried to read too much into an exho was at Kooyong 2007, and the subsequent Australian Open taught me well. The rule of thumb when it comes to exhos is just to sit back and have fun, and fun I did have last night. Indeed as I type, I’m waiting for ABC (Australia)’s 6 hour coverage of the Hopman Cup to begin. Rusty back in action? Safin and Safina teaming up? Bring it on! Where else on Planet Earth can you find daily 6 hour coverage of an exhibition tournament on free-to-air TV?
And as we enter this new year, here is my tennis wishlist for 2009. I thought it might be fun to come back at the end of the year and see how many of these wishes came true.
So if a little fairy came and granted me 10 greedy wishes for 2009, I would wish for
- Fed to break the Sampras record
- Tsonga to remain injury free for an entire season
- Australia to get back into the World Group
- Djokovics to start their own reality TV show
- Sharapova to recover from her shoulder injury
- Venus to win a slam, but not Wimbledon
- Serena to win her 10th slam
- JJ to win her first.
- Kim Clijsters to come out of retirement
- Gasquet, Baghdatis, Vaidisova and Chakvetadze to find their marbles again. (Okay maybe that should count as 4 separate wishes).
Hopman calls. So long!