1. I haven’t watched tennis at all this week. Not a match. Not even a single point.
You know there’s nothing worth watching on when some Frenchie with a first name for a last name makes the final of the “SA Open”.
2. I suffered major Aus Open withdrawal this week.
Life suddenly went from endless Sunny days, filled with fish and chips and merry chats with total strangers wearing Swiss flags as capes, to evidence law classes, work, volunteering commitments and talks with overambitious students about the competitiveness of our job market.
But even so, a corny part of me feels incredibly lucky to be living this life. Lucky to be studying my ass off, working, volunteering and making the most out of my life.
And most of all, lucky to have had the chance to witness Roger win his 16th slam live. If Times Online found Federer “smug” this week, it was only because they haven’t seen my face yet.
3. Talk about lucky, I might be heading over to Switzerland in July.
So far, 2 months into the new decade, 2010 has kicked ass and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. You go Karma Gods!
4. Does anyone else have an “offseason playlist”? You know! – The matches you pull from your hard drives during a tennis lull…
You can probably guess mine: Aus Open 07 semifinal, Rome 06 final, Masters Cup 05 final, ladies final – Wimbledon 2004 and 2005.
I watched the US Open 07 final again. For some reason, it reminded me of the Australian Open final this year.
5. I couldn’t help but wonder this week – how can someone as delectable as Feliciano Lopez have only one week of good tennis in him a year?
Be it in Dubai, or Shanghai, or this week in Johannesburg – Feli seemed to be guaranteed one good run a year.
I’d love for him to surprise me with some better results in 2010, because quite apart from having ridiculously beautiful eyes, Feliciano Lopez also has an appealing and strangely “un-Spanish” game.
6. I may be a Davis Cup cynic, but that hasn’t stopped me from debating whether I should turn up to the Australia v Chinese Taipei tie this month.
It’s being played on Margaret Court Arena, a place of many nightmares for me as an usher.
7. Took this video of the RF.com crazies after the Australian Open final, and showed it to a friend this week.
Friend: Oh-my-gawwd. You’re that nutter screaming “FEDDYYYY” in the background, aren’t cha?
Me: No. I’m really not.
Friend: You so are.
Me: So not.
Friend: SO ARE.
Me: SO NOT.
Me: I’m not playing with you anymore.
See? I can be mature.
But seriously, I’m not. My nicknames for Fed are umm … slightly more creative than that. 😉