Wimbly Day 5 (by PJ): Frazzle-Free (and a very Pretty) Friday
As the title says. A different sort of FPF but still a good one nonetheless, yes?
My frazzling over Roger’s 3rd round match against Arnaud Clément started in the afternoon when I did some Wikipedia-ing (seriously, Wikipedia is my best friend, I don’t care what anyone else says) about Clément. I found out that he was the 2001 Australian Open finalist and en route to that final, he beat a fresh-faced and ponytailed Feddy. Never mind that their current H2H stands at 5-3 in Roger’s favour, and all of Clément’s wins came before 2001 and before Roger Federer was Roger Federer. I’m sure I don’t need to remind anyone that Feddykins has been having a tendency to repair the H2H in his opponents’ favour as of late. Retard.
And of course, with Falla throwing furniture and Bozo throwing basins at Roger, I expected Clément to come out throwing chimpanzees or something. Turned out that not only Clément didn’t throw any chimps, he barely threw enough banana peels to slip Roger up. The match that I had the MOST pre-match frazzles so far in Wimbly turned out to be a really straight-forward affair as Feddy triumphed 6-2, 6-4, 6-2 in one hour and thirty-five minutes.
Feddy certainly played better in this match compared to the previous two – he hit the ball sharper, his forehands less shanky, and backhands more crisp. He only offered Clément one break chance in the entire match, in which he didn’t manage to convert. It was certainly a comfortable affair for Roger this round.
So he put some part of his concentration into looking pretty.
He entered the court looking very pretty, not a Federhair out of place.
He served pretty, although horrors! His headband was less than perfectly centralised! What would Anna say!
Of course he would readjust it and then continue to play, gliding, leaping, hitting. All done prettily, of course.
It may be hard work for some people to look pretty, but it comes naturally to Feddykins, dontcha agree?
So he won in the end, a very pretty match.
And exited the court, still looking gorgeously pretty, with perfect hair.
In a slightly more serious note though, I’m really happy he came through the third round in a much easier and less heart-attack inducing manner. Don’t ask me what I think about the fourth round match up where Melzer may come out armed with microwave ovens and machine guns. My frazzling for the tournament so far has been more of Feddy’s opponents rather than the man himself. Because, to be honest, although there were a few flat moments from him, Ferd the Turd never officially made an appearance (well, maybe except that 1st game of the 4th set against Falla with the three fucking DFs in one game). Having said that, ANTIJINX. Go back to your locked toilet, Ferd, and never come out, plzkthx.
I’ll worry about Melzer come Monday. For now, I have a frazzle-free Sunday and I’ll relish in that.
As for the other guys in Fed’s half of the draw:
1) Lleyton Hewitt (whom many mistakenly believed that I am in love with, in which I am not as I am permanently installed in Fed’s pants) scored a relatively comfortable win over Gael Monfils. He faces Djoker next and if he wins THAT ONE, I have been given permission to plaster Hewittporn all over the Picket Fence. DOES THAT SCARE YOU?
Face it, though, Lleyton ain’t got no pretty over Roger.
2) Djokovic won comfortably but nowadays I am finding it hard to even remember what is Djokovic doing or whether is he still alive. Dude has been so uninspired since his solid clay season last year.
3) A-Rod stayed on course, with a 4-set win over Ko-scrubber.
4) A mentally and physically spent Isner lost in straights to De Bakker. Quick match, aided by Isner’s errors (balls finding the net often), and the fact that he failed to serve a single ace. Still, well-played, big guy. Now go home and rest for the next decade.
5) Berdy beat Istomin, still in the draw. We’re looking at a potential Berdy-Feddy QF, you guys. If it gets there, I will probably be in the toilet for ¾ of the match.
6) Other guys left: Rendy Lu (Yer go, Chinese boy), Paul-Henri Mathieu (who took out my favourite Headbanger Youzhny) and Daniel Brands, who controversially won after Victor Hanescu couldn’t hold his cool against heckling spectators and tanked the match.
Ladies wise, no upsets so far. Notably Flavs Pennetta and Vika Azarenka was booted, by unseeded Czech players. Those in contention are still merrily cruising along.
Will do a tidbit-style update for Wimbly Day 6 before Monday’s play. Monday = FRAZZLES, y’all! And our Head Bitch will be frazzling RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL. Who’s jealous? I am!!
Jealous frazzles indeedy,
P.S. All the images are taken from Daylife with credits to GettyImages. They have scary disclaimers on their photos. I am covering my ass.