Roland Garros Day 2: Drama Kings.
The day started off with 2 unfortunate retirements… Feli (Pulled muscle) and Dancevic (Lower back)…and with that the Roland Garros 2012 casualty list was off to a great start.
Our wonder boy Wogie McFudd was second out on Suzanne Lenglen…up against German Tobias Kamke. I missed the first half of the match due to mandatory nommage of birthday cake bought for Dad, but the last half which I did see consisted of:
yes kitteh…it was kinda horribleh
Everytime Fed served for the match we collectively groaned as he shanked and looped every freaking shot, only to regain a semblance of competency in the early points of Kamke’s games and then royally..fuck IT up again. Granted the scoreline (62 75 63) hardly illustrates the ugliness of the match. But trust me when I say, it was most certainly one of his uglier first round matches.
This was Fed’s 233 Grand Slam single win, equalling Jimmy Connor’s open record. Just another amazing stat in a career of AH-MA-ZING stats. Here’s to hoping he finds more riddum against Ungur who dispatched Fat Dave in 4 sets. So much for fearing Fat Dave in the 2nd round then.
Other notable things in the day on the men’s side:
- Bellucci stretching Troicki to 5 (which I predicted)
- Hewitt falling in 4 to Kavcic (this makes me sad…but whattaya gonna do?)
- Davydenko, Petzschner, Gulbis, Falla, Malisse falling in the 1st round…dissappointing
- Djoko, Berdy, Roanic, Isner all had easy wins.
- Bogomolov Jr retired against Clement, matchpoint down in the 5th set. (supposedly due to cramps) but fuck that, you can at least stand at the service line to be aced. What douchbaggery. *okay a kind tweeter informed me that match point was on Bogomolov’s serve. Then he should have served a lollipop DF and not deprive Clement of a tough 5 set win.
- Brian Baker going through to the 2nd round after enduring multiple surgeries and playing his first grand slam match in 7 years (applause please).
The women were less dramatic, not surprisingly. Instead of whining like weenies, Sistas just get shit DONE. Azarenka needed 3 sets to overcome Brianti but otherwise all the other top seeds did it easy.
Li Na demolished a tough first round opponent Cristea, Bartoli made quick work of Pliskova and similary Radawanska with Jovanovski.
Well everyone did it easy except for Sabine Lisicki who was upset in straights by the tennis fashionista of Bethanie Mattek-Sands. I didn’t watch the match, but Mattek-Sands is a player who is capable of pulling wins out of the bag when she’s on.
And that folks…was day 2…